Civil Services Mains Exam Pattern and Syllabus
A candidate’s rank in UPSC Civil Service Exam depends only on the mark scored in Main and Interview. The main exam has 1750 marks while interview has 275 marks.
The written examination (main) will consist of the following nine papers, but only 7 papers will be counted for final merit ranking. For the rest two papers, the candidate should secure minimum marks prescribed by UPSC each year.
Qualifying Papers – Not counted for final ranking:
Paper ‐ A – Indian Language – Syllabus. (One of the Indian Languages to be selected by the candidate from the Languages included in the Eighth Schedule to the Constitution. This paper will not be compulsory for candidates hailing from the States of Arunachal Pradesh, Manipur, Meghalaya, Mizoram, Nagaland and Sikkim.) 300 Marks.
Paper‐ B – English Language – 300 Marks.
Papers to be counted for merit ranking:
- Paper‐I Essay – 250 Marks.
- Paper‐II General Studies – I – 250Marks. (Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society).
- Paper‐III General Studies –II – 250 Marks. (Governance, Constitution, Polity, Social Justice and International relations).
- Paper‐IV General Studies –III – 250 Marks. (Technology, Economic Development, Bio‐diversity, Environment, Security and Disaster Management).
- Paper‐V General Studies –IV – 250 Marks. (Ethics, Integrity and Aptitude).
- Paper‐VI Optional Subject – Paper 1 – 250 Marks.
- Paper‐VII Optional Subject – Paper 2 – 250 Marks.
Complete Syllabus can be Downloaded from here Download